Commercial Training Director, KW Commercial, CLC, MTH, GTD
Rain Maker, Servant Leader, Free Spirit, Syndicator of Values, Pit-bull, Clown, an Anomaly.
Charles graduated from Southern Oregon University on a wrestling scholarship where he was a 2x all American. His academic interests were (at the time) in learning period. Discovering and determining what he wanted to pursue? Changed majors 4 times, Criminology (rule breaker not maker), Psychology (Love, but too slow), Education (like to teach, but love to inspire) and Theater (Production, Directing, Coordinating, & Coaching Actors (sales people)), Imagination and discipline, the perfect combo for Charlie. Life is about achievement, sharing & growing. College was about wrestling. Charlie is extremely passionate & competitive yet very giving.
Charlie is always looking to innovate (differ) and has a Constant Never Ending Improvement (CNEI) “eye of the Tiger” attitude! An incredibly energetic entrepreneur & free spirit who is always leading by example & encouraging others. His power of Will is beyond most people’s comprehension. He knows exactly where he’s going and will find a way to get there. Adversity is sought after, not avoided. Knowing how-to, in advance is not a concern of his. Knowing why is what propels. Some have MBA’s, MD’s, & PHD’s, Charlie is gifted with both ADD and ODD which translates to multi-tasked entrepreneur! MTH-Make things happen & GTD – Get things done. He answers questions by asking more. He seeks to gain clarity, understanding, reason and meaning which either leads to the answer or changes the question. He is more interested in leaving a path than finding a trail. Always the fool, until everyone follows.
Immediately after graduating college, he moved to Southern California starting as a door to door life insurance salesman in South Central Los Angeles (Rodney King Ville) for Bankers United. Charlie was a top producer before he started, averaging over two policies per day for two years. Bankers United flew Charlie to various struggling offices where he was instructed to “show them how it’s done”. How’s that for heat for a 25 year old….? It’s not, if your already on Fuego! He was then recruited by Metropolitan Life as a sales manager and at age 27 promoted to become the youngest regional manager in the firm nationwide. From there, he went on to open two additional branch offices in Pasadena and Long Beach California where he personally hired & trained roughly 18 new agents in those offices before being bored to tears and moving up and onward.
Seemingly at capacity with not much challenge, Charlie became bored and set out to find more competition. Anxious to leave the land of security & stability he was free to search the oceans of risks and opportunity. Charlie seeks adversity in every direction he can. For the next 7 years he explored many opportunities, but had 3 main ventures spending no more than 25 hours per week in each….
1) Trading softwood, doug fir, hem fir, larch, cedar, spruce & pine, boards, timbers and sheet goods. Wholesaling (buying & selling) millions of board ft. of lumber out of the Pacific Northwest into the So. Cal. Market. By barge, rail or truck.
2) Building a very profitable Business Debt Negotiations firm (Arbor, Kennedy & Trate) that he started from scratch and sold to a mentee of his. His firm was the opposite of a collection agency and represented companies (debtors) that had judgments against them.
3) He grew three different non-competing network marketing organizations. Life Plus, N-Touch & (TPN) The Peoples Network. & developed two of their new affiliate guides. He also hosted the national prospecting conf call for new members to hear and learn.
Charlie also raised his son and daughter and was head coach in all their sport from age 5 to 15. In Orange County where he lives, there were no youth wrestling clubs like there were in Oregon so he founded the Saddleback Mat Club. He remained head coach for 6 years until his son ditched wrestling for Soccer, which he now plays in college. He knew he should have had another boy! His daughter is laser focused and in Vet school & will not be denied.
In 1997, Charlie happened across the scent of Commercial Real Estate & found his calling. With no prior real estate sales experience at all, or even knowing how to spell CAP rate, he joined Sperry Van Ness and immediately started to defy the way it was “supposed to be done”, he hired, trained, mentor & coached his own team of 7 junior agents. After training and developing the most productive team of junior agents in the firm and becoming the highest paid rookie of the year in the firm’s 15 year history, Charlie was promoted to sales manager then regional manager and within two and a half years was heading the firm’s national training boot camp. Charlie ran the number one office in the nation for the company for three years in a row before leaving management to produce and train again for himself full time. By the end of his second year as a producer, he had earned over 1.6 million in brokerage fees and was the # 3 top producers in the nation for the company.
In January 2004, Charlie founded Healstone Investment Real Estate, a fully integrated Investment Real Estate Brokerage serving both private and institutional client in both Brokerage and Property Management. In the company’s first 4 years his team grew to over 39 Commercial agents and 16 Property Managers. Healstone closed over 200+ transactions totaling over $560,000,000 in sales and managed over 1,200 apartment units. Although his teams’ primary focus is always multi-family, Charlie has successfully closed transactions in many product types including; retail shopping centers, single tenant NNN, industrial business parks, office buildings, hospitality, self storage and land. After nearly five years of successfully owning and operating Healstone he was recruited by Rick Cunningham and Buddy Norman to Join KW Commercial as the Commercial Training Director.
Charlie was elected by his peers for the position of National multi-family chairman for the Commercial REO Brokers Association www.creoba.com He has been featured in the Real Estate Southern California magazine’s Top 40 under 40 Real Estate Professionals. Charlie is an active member and trade show speaker for many Southern California apartment associations as well as a speaker, trainer presenter at many so cal. colleges & universities. He is also a member of Vistage International which is an association of CEO’s and key executives from various industries.
Serendipity is an intentional affirmation, to a Rainmaking Anomaly such as Charlie.
- 1998, w/ no prior RE knowledge or experience joined Sperry Van Ness.
- Hired, Trained, Mentored, & coached Team of 7 Jrs. (new agents) 1st yr & was highest paid rookie of the yr in firm’s 15 yr history earning over $ 320,000.
- Promoted to Sales Manager at the Corporate office.
- Became & maintained # 1 producing office 3 years in a row.
- Promoted to Regional manager
- Took over and ran the Sperry Van Ness New agent Training Boot Camp with his own system changing the whole process.
- Left Management. To produce & build new team.
- Grossed commission earned $ 1,200,000 1st yr. back.
- # 3 Producer in the company out of roughly 360 agents.
- Did exactly 94 Proposals, got 23 listings, wrote 75 offers, and closed 31 sides.
- Also Recruited, Trained, & Mentored team of 5, including the “Rookie of the year” & Runner up. All 5 earned over $ 100,000 each their first full year.
- In Jan. 2004, Founded Healstone Investment Real Estate.
- First 4 yrs. did 200+ Transactions
- $560,000,000+ in sales
- Opened two separate offices Irvine & Long Beach. Grew team to 39 Commercial / Investment Rock Star agents.
- Mid 2010, Joined KW Commercial as “Commercial Training Director”.
- Speaker/Trainer at the KW Family Reunion – The Commercial Mini Boot Camp.
- Speaker/Trainer at the KW Commercial Mega agent Retreat- Comm. Team Building
- Launched the Mega agent Boot (re-boot) Camp, & touring the country to train mega Agents and help senior agents to build productive teams.
- Created the Mega Commercial / Investment Broker Training workbook.
- Completed the “Essentials to Success” – CD Tool Kit.
- Building a model Commercial Team in the Newport Beach KWC office.
- Elected to the KW Commercial Leadership Council.